Monday, May 7, 2012

Stamp Collecting by Topics

Often referred to as Topical collecting is just that select a subject and collect stamps on that topic. 

Bear writes - "When I started into the world of stamps I was actually a little against topical collecting to be 100% honest about it.. Now, however, after attempting to do the Ships on stamps collection (for fun mind you) I am a believer .. I had no idea how easy it was to gather materials and since you dont have to have a strict format its super flexible.... 

I now have enough of them that the temporary storage simply will not do for much longer, and I will need either stock pages or a stock book to accommodate them before long...

I can not stress enough how much I love this hobby and all of the directions it can take you .."

(read more HERE)

As is typical of a good conversation that particular thread has taken on a life all its own and will hopefully continue to do so. I would like to expand on the idea that a collector can (and in my opinion, should) have multiple collections going at once. 

As any one collection grows and you look for ways to display the collection you are almost guaranteed to look up the stamps. This is not for the faint of heart!!! This will sprout curiosity, and investigation.. Dare I suggest a greater understanding of our world?!?!?

Hmmm "an understanding of our world"... This seemingly simple statement brings to mind another thread that expands on the idea of Stamp Collecting & Social understanding and tolerance . Now I know that this thread is fairly new but the author instigates us to look at how we process the information gathered in our collections. 

Follow along on these two seemingly unrelated journeys and see where we go. Better still join in the conversations and see if you can spark our curiosity and imaginations with your experience. 

As always -

Happy Stamping!!
Bear

No comments:

Post a Comment